Louisiana bill advances to ban permitless concealed carrying at parades

Winny

Oct 30, 2023
A new bill in Louisiana has advanced to ban those who do not have a permit to carry a firearm, especially at a parade with many people. The new bill, HB627, will prohibit people who don't have a conceal carry permit within 100 feet of a parade. The big reason for this change is because of Mardi Gras, which has a lot of people yearly, meaning a potential for possible gun violence to occur. So they want to stop those who don't have a permit, from being near a parade.

Those who are against the new bill, believe it will cause issues with the new permitless concealed carry law that is said to take effect this July. As well, the NRA believe the police should know or be able to determine who a threat is without this new law or bill. Which I disagree with, because who's to say a threat is so easily identified?

As well the 100 feet will include sidewalks, restaurants that are close to the parade. Private residences along the route do not need to abide by these rules though

You can read more on this news here: BR Proud

I think this is the right call, makes sense to ban those who aren't permitted from carrying at parades. I think it should be like that for most events like this, especially when there are a lot of people around. I even think those who are permitted to carry shouldn't carry in a parade like setting, but if they're legally allowed to, we can't really stop them from doing so.

And yeah, it wouldn't make sense for residences nearby to comply, since the parade is a temporary event and it shouldn't cause issues for homeowners in the area who are legally allowed to carry or have firearms on their property.

For further information on this GPT, visit the U.S. National/Federal GPT page.

Back