Installing a Water Heater

Melvin

Apr 5, 2024
My water heater is very old and I've been thinking about replacing it. I am thinking of hiring a professional and licensed plumber for the job, and I've been shopping around for quotes. Do I need to pull a permit for this?

In most places, replacing a water heater requires a permit. getting a permit means you meet local building codes and safety standards. Whether you are doing minor works or major works, it is always important that you to check with your local building department or city hall to determine the specific requirements for your area.

I replaced my water heater last Fall and didn't get a permit for it. The plumber I used didn't even mention permitting as something I should be aware of. I went with them because out of multiple quotes that I got, they were the best deal ("you get what you pay for," right?). I'm pretty sure the water heater was installed just fine but there are times when I don't feel like it's producing as much hot water as it should be. At this point, I'm interested in submitting a permit application and having an inspector come out, if for no other reason than having another knowledgeable set of eyes double-check to make sure everything was installed correctly.

I installed one of the new Proterra electric heat pump water heaters, by the way, which is different technology and I think has different installation steps compared to a conventional gas water heater. I'm thinking that especially with newer, less familiar technology, getting a permit is probably all the more important. If a plumber has less experience installing a particular type of water heater, and has to deviate from their typical installation methods when installing it, I feel like there could be an increased potential for mistakes in terms of code compliance. I'm going to try to get my permit application submitted to the City this week...it'll be good to have the peace of mind that comes with having the work inspected and permitted.

@Melvin, I'd recommend at least broaching the subject of permitting with the plumbers you're getting quotes from. Even if permitting isn't in their scope of work, you should probably submit a permit application yourself and have the install inspected immediately after the work's completed (unlike what I did, lol). If there are any code issues, you can then follow up with the plumber immediately and have them come right back out to remedy the situation.

At my jurisdiction that is an over the counter plumbing permit - super straight forward, usually. But it's also not something a lot of people know to pull a permit for.

It depends on where you live and the rules that jurisdiction has. Some require it, some don't. Where I work, we do, because the city is in a flood plain and so they have to have an elevation certificate on file.

It's not a requirement here. I think most people think nothing of it. We just take it for granted that you go to the store, buy one, and install it or hire someone who can. It's no different from installing a fridge or stove.

The rule of thumb here is if it has hard wiring, plumbing (especially gas), mechanical or structural a permit is required. Water heaters take electrical, plumbing and sometimes gas.
That being said, many people do not get permits for water heaters, plumbing, and minor electrical work in their homes, so if you move into a home keep that in mind and make sure that all of the work was done correctly. And remember that insurance sometimes does not cover unpermitted work.

Last time I had to replace a water heater, I needed a plumbing permit. My plumber was able to obtain one fast and he got to work. There is electrical and sometimes gas involved, so I'd suggest getting the required permits in your area.

The rule of thumb here is if it has hard wiring, plumbing (especially gas), mechanical or structural a permit is required. Water heaters take electrical, plumbing and sometimes gas.
That being said, many people do not get permits for water heaters, plumbing, and minor electrical work in their homes, so if you move into a home keep that in mind and make sure that all of the work was done correctly. And remember that insurance sometimes does not cover unpermitted work.
I agree 100%. What I always say, if there is a potential danger involved, it's best to just get permitted. And I always consider doing any work near wiring, plumbing or any work to the property, to require a permit. A lot can go wrong, and I'd rather have all my permits in order than face trouble for not.

The rule of thumb here is if it has hard wiring, plumbing (especially gas), mechanical or structural a permit is required.

I suppose a permit may not be required for my Proterra 120V plug-in water heater then? I recently installed the dedicated circuit model in my house. They're also available in a shared circuit model that runs off a smaller compressor. These 120V units are designed to serve as "drop-in gas unit replacements" that require "minimal to no electric work," per the Rheem product page. Ours required some electrical work to install a dedicated 120V outlet nearby but in most cases (especially the shared circuit model) the homeowner would simply plug the unit into a nearby outlet. I guess the question is whether a permit's generally required if all you're doing is changing out the water pipe connections.

Back